brown sugar: want some sweetness?

Friday, May 11, 2007

Is It All About the Make-Up?

A couple of days ago, I was wandering the shops in Union Square after work killing time before meeting JaB and RbB. Usually when I have to kill time, I wonder into Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters to get ideas before I buy knock-offs at H&M and Forever 21. But my usual wanderings got me thinking about where my life was going. I'm in a job I'm beginning to get bored at, my three bestest friends in SF are leaving me this summer (one's moving to LA and two are moving to NYC), and on top of it, I haven't been able to find a pair of jeans I like. AND don't even get me started on my (nonexistent) love life (at least there's always the hope of Krishan Behl) .

I needed a change. No, not a personality change (wouldn't know where to begin-plus not feeling like going back into therapy) or a wardorbe change (I actually like my quirky fashion sense), I needed something more drastic.

The answer: Make-Up.

Now, being 28, I had never bought any make-up before. No, I'm not naturally gorgeous, just naturally lazy. I'm also sure a lot of it comes from being was traumatized as a teen with weird make-up experiments from friends and a mother who were much lighter than me, resulting in a not so beautiful face where I looked more like a desi clown than a super hot bollywood celebrity. Those two factors resulted in me never attempting to buy make-up.

Until that night.

Wandering around Macy's, I stopped in front of the Benefit Counter, thinking that they weren't as scary as the MAC Counter with their three layers of cake on the attendents' faces. So as I peered over the interesting colors of eye-shadow (yeah, I'm easily amused), the counter girl comes over and asks if I need any help.

bs: I have something funny to tell you, I've never bought make-up before.

benefit "valley girl": What? You've never bought make-up before?

bs: No

bvg: Uh, do you like go out?

bs: A little too much.

bvg: Do men like talk to you?

bs: Not the good ones, but yeah.

bvg: Uh, okay...can I try some things on you? Mascara, eye shadow, lipstick

Readers, let's just say I looked like a desi valley girl with pink eyeshadow and lipstick. At least JaB and RbB had a laugh when I got into their car.



Yeah, I'm sticking with my al natural look.

Labels:

16 Comments:

  • At Fri May 11, 12:40:00 PM PDT , Blogger Rush said...

    Hahaha MAC girls do wear too much makeup and their eyebrows generally scare me.

     
  • At Sat May 12, 04:39:00 PM PDT , Blogger agk said...

    dude. i was, like, sooo shopping for makeup at bloomie's yesterday evening. (ok, no i wasn't. i had to go to a party and i figured i would just "try" makeup on before heading over there. heh.)

     
  • At Sun May 13, 01:32:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    dude, i got my first makeup when i was um... 22, and i hated it.

    au natural.
    simplicity is beauty.

    thats my lazy ass philosophy anywas.

     
  • At Sun May 13, 01:50:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love make up, and have been obsessed with it since, like, middle school. Hit me up for some advice, if you need it.

     
  • At Sun May 13, 08:53:00 PM PDT , Blogger maisnon said...

    Benefit actually has some good 'ish (and good for desi coloring, etc.) Too bad the person helping you was a total toolbox!

    If you want to try again, I'd recommend Sephora - lots of different brands, and no pushiness!

     
  • At Mon May 14, 11:14:00 AM PDT , Blogger brown sugar said...

    rush:
    Girl, you're right about the eyebrows. Also, the boy attendents at the counter are just WAY too pretty for me.

    agk:
    Good strategy! My friends tend to do that all time. I just wander around the accessory department while I wait for them. :-)

    anon:
    That makes me feel soo much better. It's better to be simple. Plus, I joke around with my friends that at least the random guy spending the night will know what I look like in the morning ;-).

    tamasha:
    Don't be surprised if I hit you up for some advice! Make-up excursion if I visit NYC this summer? :-)

    maison:
    A lot of my friends prefer Benefit because of it's "ethnic friendliness" and also since it's a local SF brand. These same friends go crazy whenever they see a Sephora, be it here, in NYC or in DC. Luckily there's usually a bookstore or something around where I can bide my time. But if the inspiration hits me again, I'll be sure to step in to the store. :-)

     
  • At Mon May 14, 12:55:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This benefit chick needs to be slapped with a blush brush. You can totally do natural with makeup.

    1)good foundation for parties/pic -- flawless skin and ZERO cakiness.
    2)under eye concealer for the desi dark eye circles
    3)nice natural flush blush on the cheeks
    4)there is an endless possibility of choices for the right eye shadow/liner/mascara/lipstick

     
  • At Mon May 14, 12:55:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This benefit chick needs to be slapped with a blush brush. You can totally do natural with makeup.

    1)good foundation for parties/pic -- flawless skin and ZERO cakiness.
    2)under eye concealer for the desi dark eye circles
    3)nice natural flush blush on the cheeks
    4)there is an endless possibility of choices for the right eye shadow/liner/mascara/lipstick

     
  • At Mon May 14, 02:19:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I stand with you in solidarity, brown sugar. Mascara alone is enough to frighten me!

     
  • At Tue May 15, 09:40:00 AM PDT , Blogger Ganesh said...

    honestly, i wish i could say something meaningful about make-up, since most guys i know are, like me, completely clueless about the artistry involved.

     
  • At Tue May 15, 12:30:00 PM PDT , Blogger brown sugar said...

    bengali chick:
    "This benefit chick needs to be slapped with a blush brush."
    That made me laugh out loud girl! :-). Those are some great tips, even for someone like me that doesn't know too much. Will definetly be bugging you next time I drive down to LA :-).

    brimful:
    In unity against mascara. Also, I'm soo touched you commented from Spain. SF and the fog misses you!

    ganesh:
    Dude, you and me both. Funny, make-up doesn't make sense but fashion, even the quirky kind, totally makes sense to me. Explains why I'm wearing an ultra cute cropped jacket in this freezing SF weather while trying to battle off a cold. Gotta look cute clothes wise even if it kills me ;-).

     
  • At Tue May 15, 09:27:00 PM PDT , Blogger IslandGirl said...

    I'm naturally lazy too! I hate going to the makeup counters because they usually don't know what colors to use with my skin.

     
  • At Fri May 18, 02:15:00 PM PDT , Blogger ZenDenizen said...

    What the heck is eye shadow contouring!

     
  • At Sat May 19, 07:59:00 AM PDT , Blogger confused, single and brown said...

    LOL! you know what, i love makeup! not that i wear a tonne of make up on a daily basis, but when i go out i love playing with colours and glamming it up a little!

    but you gotta be careful about how and who you get your makeup done from...b/c sometimes the end result is just scary and you're better off with nothing on!

     
  • At Sat May 19, 10:59:00 AM PDT , Blogger brown sugar said...

    island girl:
    Yea to being naturally lazy! It's the way to be :-).

    zen:
    Good question! :-)

    c,s&b:
    As I'm writing these responses I'm watching my beloved bollywood shows and maybe I need to hunt down rani mukerji's make-up artist to try some "jadoo" on me. She's simply beautiful! Whatcha think? :-)

     
  • At Tue Jun 05, 05:54:00 AM PDT , Blogger confused, single and brown said...

    um..yeah sometimes i wish i had a personal make up artist and hair stylist at home *sighs*

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home