brown sugar: want some sweetness?

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

I Have To Return Some Videotapes

One of my Mom's hobbies, besides putting customers in their place and throwing elegant dinner parties, is her attempt to get me married. She has this aspiration to become a wedding planner and she's decided that the first wedding she should plan is mine so she can show her "work" to potential clients. The problem is that I've kinda sworn off men after my birthday (just can't find any good ones), so I'm enjoying the single life in the city by the bay and keeping myself busy.

Since this weekend, I've been on this Christian Bale kick (not a bad kick to be on). It started with watching the ending of "The New World" on HBO, then watching "Batman Begins" immediately afterwards on demand, and then having the people at Le Video make fun of me as I rented out "American Psycho", "The Prestige", "Little Women", "Harsh Times", and "The Machinist".

As I was trekking back from Le Video with my Christian "booty" (think shower scene in "American Psycho"-the perfect male body according to scientists), I decided to check in with Mom since she was spending the week alone while my Dad is in Montery for a conference.

mom: So, what are you doing this week?

bs: Well Mom, I'm having dinner with KM, SC, GC, and JN on Wednesday. Thursday is going to be fun since I'm going to a fundraiser for Narika, then heading to JaB's music promotion, and an exciting dinner later ;-). Friday JR and his boy are coming in from NYC and I have a birthday party later to go to. And this weekend is Muse weekend with dancing and seeing them on Monday night.

mom: All these plans and you still can't find a boy?

bs: I can't help it if the guys in SF suck. Anyways, I'm in love with a man named Christian Bale.

mom: Behl? You've found yourself a Punjabi boy?!





Looks like I need to have another Christian Bale Movie Marathon with my Mom.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

  • At Wed Apr 04, 04:51:00 PM PDT , Blogger ZenDenizen said...

    Christian Bale is beyond fine but even he couldn't salvage Laurel Canyon, be warned...

     
  • At Wed Apr 04, 10:35:00 PM PDT , Blogger IslandGirl said...

    "mom: Behl? You've found yourself a Punjabi boy?!

    Gotta love moms, always the optimist even if it means auditory hallucinations ;)

     
  • At Fri Apr 06, 09:43:00 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ouch...i don't know how many s.f. boys are going to be able to live up to the krishan behl standard...especially the straight ones among us.

     
  • At Fri Apr 06, 03:10:00 PM PDT , Blogger brown sugar said...

    zendenizen:
    Hmm-haven't seen that movie yet, but have heard bad things about it. Well, as long as Christian looks good, I don't mind...plus Kate Beckinsale is hot!

    island girl:
    Love that term "auditory hallucinations". My Mom is guilty of that only when it comes to boys-when I mess up, she hears everything!

    blogless:
    Trust me, while it would be nice to have a straight "krishan behl", my own personal standards aren't that high. I mean, all I want is a nice, intelligent, open-minded boy that has a car, a job, and can get it up. That's not asking for too much, is it? ;-)

     
  • At Fri Apr 06, 08:11:00 PM PDT , Blogger confused, single and brown said...

    lol! ah, gotta love indian moms! always so hopeful :P

     
  • At Sun Apr 08, 07:39:00 AM PDT , Blogger Roonie said...

    Christian Bale the Punjabi! I love it!

     
  • At Mon Apr 09, 11:52:00 AM PDT , Blogger brown sugar said...

    c,s,&b:
    Yeah, Mom will always be hopeful for me to get married. Too bad that I've pretty much lost hope.

    roonie:
    I've made Christian an honorary Punjabi in my book ;-).

    zen:
    I just watched "Laurel Canyon" this weekend and yeah the ambiguous ending was kinda weird (although the discussion thread for the movie on imdb.com was enlightening). BUT the movie did have the best fully-clothed erotic love scene EVER! Forget the threesome in the movie, this scene was soo much hotter. Tried looking for a link on youtube, but here's the dialogue from the movie, the 5th one from the top:
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0298408/quotes

     
  • At Tue Apr 10, 10:02:00 AM PDT , Blogger agk said...

    "krishan behl" just made me snort (i'm trying to laugh silently in a library, guess i blew that one). my mother's most common auditory hallucination is that she calls all of my non-Indian girlfriends "jenny," even the ones that she's met and known for over a decade. to prove she's an equal opportunity weirdo, she also calls all of my Indian male friends "prasant."

     
  • At Tue Apr 10, 08:26:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I just died laughing at this post AND the comments. Krishan Behl? Jenny and Prasant?

    Just to make sure Indian dads don't get left by the wayside, enjoy the following conversation shared with my father practically every day I was in high school:

    Dad: So, what classes did you have today?
    T: Well, I had Bio, History, Gym -
    D: Jim who?
    T: Gym, not Jim. Like, Phys. Ed.
    D: Who's Ed?

    {le sigh}

     
  • At Wed Apr 11, 11:23:00 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    how cute

     
  • At Wed Apr 11, 04:15:00 PM PDT , Blogger brown sugar said...

    agk:
    First of all, you were missed at the dinner last week. Second, your mom's audiotory hallucinations made me laugh out loud at work while the kids were hanging out in the office-hopefully they didn't notice :-).

    tamasha:
    You're right, the Dad's should not be forgotten, either. Thanks for sharing that funny story. :-)

    anon:
    Thanks for stopping by. Yeah, all this is really cute-I love stories like these. :-)

    -----------------------------------
    Update on Christian Bale kick (indulge me for a sec):
    So I had to join Netflicks since it was getting way too expensive renting all his movies at $4.33 a pop at Le Video. Kinda feel guilty about not supporting the indie video store, but luckily I can cancel my subscription any time.
    Yeah, I'm way behind on the times when it comes to movies (spend too much energy on music and bollywood), but I'm becoming a self-proclaimed "Balehead" with every movie I see. I'm making my way down his list but I did love "American Psycho" (can't you tell with heading and pic) and was stunned by his performance/appearence in "The Machinist". Looking forward to going home, opening my mailbox and watching "Newsies" and "Swing Kids" tonight ;-). Okay, Christian update over and out.

     
  • At Wed Apr 11, 07:35:00 PM PDT , Blogger agk said...

    aw, thanks, sugar. i hope there will be a next time!

    btw, le video has become totally fascist. screw them, i say. (they charged my credit card $130 because i had a video 3 days late and wouldn't remove the charges!)

     
  • At Thu Apr 12, 08:56:00 AM PDT , Blogger brown sugar said...

    Wow, Le Video did that? Yeah, they are really hard core about their movies (charging full price for every day the movie is late and you can only rent it out for 3 days? what if I wanna rent out a season of a show?). At least I feel a little better about Netflixs and it was soo worth watching my two movies last night ;-).

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home