brown sugar: want some sweetness?

Monday, March 12, 2007

Doing Her Part

My parents own convenient stores. While I used to be ashamed of it when I was younger (Apu didn't help), over the years, I've become proud of the work they do.

This past weekend, my mom shared some of her stories from the store. It just goes to show that this world still has a long way to go.

Incident 1:

Customer hands a $100 bill to purchase a pack of cigarettes. Mom holds the bill to the light to make sure it's real.

Customer: Don't worry, it's not from your country.

Mom: Excuse me? You think that just because India is considered a 3rd world country that all counterfeit money comes from there? Take your money and never come to my store again! Please leave!


Incident 2:

Customer standing off to the side, scratching away at a lottery ticket.

Customer: So tell me, why do you only hire Indians? They don't even speak English properly.

Mom: Do you know how hard it is to immigrate to a new country? This store is a stepping stone for them. Think about it, say you, as an American, went to India to find work, where would you feel most comfortable working? Admit it, you would feel more comfortable working with Americans, right? Same thing here. I'm proud to give those opportunities to people who want to work hard than those relying on a lottery ticket to change things.


I love my Mom!

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

  • At Tue Mar 13, 04:56:00 AM PDT , Blogger Ganesh said...

    excellent!

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 08:06:00 AM PDT , Blogger Bengali Chick said...

    Your mom rocks!

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 09:07:00 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love your mom too! :)

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 09:30:00 AM PDT , Blogger Mediocre Blogger said...

    Sweet!

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 11:17:00 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i heart your mom.

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 12:07:00 PM PDT , Blogger brown sugar said...

    Thanks guys! If only I had a mouth like hers...

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 02:03:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Fantastic story. I think there's something about how race and gender intersect that makes desi women more willing than desi men to call out racism. my mom's as fierce as my dad is meek in the face of these kinds of episodes...

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 02:46:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's especially lovely that she manages (it seems from your post) to say things in such a calm and collected manner. I would have pounced, and been called a bitch.

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 04:39:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The world would be grim without proper doses of bitchiness.

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 09:25:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    yeah! go mom!

     
  • At Wed Mar 14, 03:37:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    blogless, maybe you can ask your dad why he does what he does. it could be anything, he may be meek, or he may have another reason for avoiding conflict. there's always a possibility a verbal altercation could turn physical. even if someone themselves would be willing to allow that possibility, it's another thing to bring that kind of thing on other loved one's

    can't know your personal situation, but, there are other possibilities out there than simple meekness

     
  • At Thu Mar 15, 11:10:00 AM PDT , Blogger brown sugar said...

    blogless:
    Thanks for stopping by. My Dad in the past has stuck up for himself and the employees, but probably not in a witty manner like my Mom. It would be interesting to look at that intersection between race and gender to look further into this phenomena.

    tamasha:
    I think I'm with you in that I would have felt compelled to hit the customers, too. Or I would probably have glared at them with no words to say. According to Mom, in the first incident she did raise her voice to the customer and the other customers in line cheered for her. In the second, Mom was busy ringing up another customer and said it to him very matter-of-factly.

    agk:
    Yeah, Mom rocks!

    anon:
    You bring up an interesting point. A verbal altercation could have more scarier results, especially between two men. There are a lot of factors that go into picking a battle to fight or take silently.

     
  • At Thu Mar 15, 03:33:00 PM PDT , Blogger confused, single and brown said...

    wow - those are such rational responses! my parents used to own a indian clothing store and i worked there from probably 12-17. needless to say most of our customers were indian, but every now and then we'd get non-indian folks in and some of them would make condesending remarks to which i would explode! i've learned its always better to take the high road.

     
  • At Fri Mar 16, 12:35:00 AM PDT , Blogger raghu said...

    that is courageous.. really
    its easier to say than to do. :)

     
  • At Sat Mar 17, 04:49:00 PM PDT , Blogger brown sugar said...

    c,s,&b:
    Yeah, I would explode, too when I used to help out at the store. Still trying to navigate the high road.

    raghu:
    It certainly is courageous. The interesting thing is my Mom sees it more like trying to educate rather than sticking up.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home