brown sugar: want some sweetness?

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Conversations with a Punjabi Mother

Last night, after cancelling plans with friend Z because I forgot to Tivo "Beauty and the Geek" and "Top Chef", I came home with a steaming hot pizza and a bottle of wine to enjoy a free night from the social life (hence the reason why I've been away-but got some great material-stay posted).

Finally I had time to check-in with the parents! After my dad went off about Bush's speech (he's ready to move back to India), I spoke with my mom.

mom: Hi beta, how are you?

b.s.: Good ma. Hey, I was wondering, why don't you and dad come into San Francisco on Monday. I have the day off.

mom: Why?

b.s.: Why not? We can go shopping in Union Square, check out some sales. Oh, we can try to do afternoon tea in Noe Valley!

mom: Afternoon tea, huh? Are you gonna introduce us to your boyfriend?

bs: Huh mom, what boyfriend? I'm not dating anyone (readers, seriously I am not).

mom: Then why would I do afternoon tea? (Then switching to her own unique Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Multani language mix) You are turning 28 in two months, you need to get married, what is wrong with you? Maybe you should go to that MacWorld thing-you work in downtown , you might meet someone. I'm too old to have a single daughter, putri! Pendiren! (Rant continues for another 5 minutes)

Looks like it's gonna be afternoon tea for one this Monday!

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At Thu Jan 11, 12:43:00 PM PST , Blogger chick pea said...

    forget about meeting men at macworld

    go see the ifone :)
    i am still drooling.
    the non gadget freak.

     
  • At Thu Jan 11, 04:00:00 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love that
    #1 You refer to yourself as BS ;)
    and
    #2 She wants to have nothing to do with you until you're married.

     
  • At Thu Jan 11, 08:00:00 PM PST , Blogger brown sugar said...

    chick pea:

    I know-the iPhone is soo much more interesting than any man-lol! You should've heard my mom when the Oracle conference was happening here.

    tamasha:

    aww man-you figured out my little bs thing-lol! astute observation! And yep, my mom wants me married ASAP. Too bad it's not gonna happen any time soon!

     
  • At Thu Jan 11, 09:06:00 PM PST , Blogger IslandGirl said...

    LOL! My mom would usually start the conversation with that. It only gets worse when you introduce them to the boyfriend. Then it's when are you getting married. What are you waiting for . . . There's no end =)

     
  • At Sun Feb 25, 08:39:00 PM PST , Blogger confused, single and brown said...

    my mom kept asking me to meet guys that she had heard about through family/relatives...and when i kept declining she assumed i was with someone (which i'm not). the whole concept of being single, esp at "our age", is just so foreign to them...i swear my mom talks to me about getting hooked up EVERY single day. blah

     
  • At Sun Feb 25, 08:40:00 PM PST , Blogger confused, single and brown said...

    ps-i'm very much enjoying backtracking and reading your blogs :)

     
  • At Mon Feb 26, 08:38:00 PM PST , Blogger brown sugar said...

    csb:

    What's up with moms? I swear Gurinder Chadha got it right in "Bend It Like Beckham" with the crazy Punjabi mom, don't you think?

    Also, thanks for your compliment :-). Looking forward to reading your posts, too!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home