brown sugar: want some sweetness?

Thursday, January 4, 2007

Bare Minimums

I don't know about you, but I tend to have embarassing moments all the time. Some are more embarassing than others, but embarassing none the less. This one especially wasn't my best moment yet it made me think about where I am in the lovely thing known as the love department.

So yesterday while at work I get a call from my friend DR who came in from Chi-town to visit her family for the holiday break. We're old college friends (I was actually her TA back in college) and whenever we get together, all we seem to talk about are boys (of course!).

Like a lot of people, I've had my share of devastating heart breaks and over the years I guess I've become jaded. Instead of having a Bollywood love story where we break out into song in Central Park a la SRK in "Kal Ho Na Ho" (or I guess here break out into song at Golden Gate Park), I've kinda limited my search to the basics. Most of my friends, co-workers, strangers, know the "bare minimums" I need in a partner, including DR.

So I meet DR at the Men's Macy's Store in Union Square during lunch and while her family shopped, she and I went arm and arm through the departments (it is SF after all), catching up on our love lives. In our rounds, I noticed a cute desi guy with a faux-hawk doing some lunchtime shopping. Cute desi guys in SF are an endangered species (plus we have to turn on our "gay-dar" for the really cute ones here). DR noticed me eyeing him but didn't mention anything. By the time we got to the escalator, DR finished her "boy story" right as faux-hawk boy got on to go to the next floor in front of us, just a couple of steps ahead. Of course this is when DR had to ask: "So brown sugar, have you found yourself an Indian boy who has a car, a job, and can get it up yet? You can never find all three, huh?" My jaw dropped and I noticed faux-hawk boy turn around, look at us, smile, and stepped off the escalator. Luckily we didn't see the guy for the rest of our time there (probably scared him or something), but knowing how small SF is, won't be surprised if I bump into him again.

As I was walking back to work, it got me thinking. Crazy encounter aside, I guess my search for a partner boils down to those three things: A Job (doesn't have to be fancy, but he should be passionate about what he does. Plus I'm a career counselor-kinda want him to have a job so I can share it with my kids), a car (it's CA and me being the nice sis I am gave my car to my lil bro in LA where he needs one), and the third part, well...Let's just say it's been hard to find all three...

While I do believe in all those hearts and flowers and stuff, maybe I have become jaded, or maybe just realistic. Hopefully it'll change and I'll have my moment of changing clothes every 2 minutes as I'm dancing at Fisherman's Wharf (lord, I love Bollywood). Oh, where's my Ben and Jerry's Phish Food when I need it... :-)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home